Heavy metals (and no – we’re not talking about your favorite bands from the 60’s) are toxic metals like nickel, copper, mercury, lead, and aluminum, to name a few. They linger in our bodies and can cause inflamed tissue and, overtime, damage to our nervous system, digestive system, liver, and even the brain. As heavy metals build up, they can increase bacteria growth and pathogens, which can leave you feeling bloated, constipated, nutrient deficient, and more, some say.
However, proponents believe it’s possible to draw heavy metal deposits out of the body by eating alkaline, high-antioxidant foods such as spirulina, barley grass juice powder, cilantro, wild blueberries, and Atlantic dulse. But how are you supposed to get all these ingredients into a meal? Smoothies!
Keep reading for three tasty heavy metal detox smoothie recipes you can try today.
Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie by The Raw Chef
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 8.5 oz coconut water
- 1 cup strawberries (or sub with wild blueberries)
- 1.5 tbsp spirulina
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup spinach
- 1/4 drop stevia (Sweetleaf Vanilla Creme) *Optional
Toss all ingredients into your trusty blender and enjoy!
Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie by Raw Revive
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup mango (or sub with 1 cup papaya or 2 bananas)
- 1 green apple or pear
- 1 lemon peeled
- 1 large handful of spinach
- 1 large handful of kale
- 1 small handful of cilantro
- 2 dates pitted
- 1 thumb of ginger
- 1 tsp of chlorella (or sub with 1 tsp spirulina)
- 2 cups coconut water (add based on desired consistency)
Blend up your ingredients and enjoy!
Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie by Detoxinista
Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries
- 1 small handful fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 frozen banana, cut into pieces for easy blending
- 1/4 avocado
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
Blend until smooth and enjoy!
Another one of our favorite, tried and true heavy metal detox smoothie recipes is by Medical Medium. It’s uber-popular for its delicious blend of ingredients. And it passes our taste test.
Do you have a heavy metal detox smoothie recipe to share or have you tried one of these? Let us know what you think!